Olive Branch Optimism
what a wonderful world...
Sunday, August 21, 2005
Blogs effecting society (ongoing)
Good day to everyone reading my blog again! Guess what?!?

I have a University assignment worth 50% of my overall year mark for 1 subject, where I must choose a peice of technology or development in the field of Media, Communication and Information and discuss the effect it has on society.

I chose BLOGGING!

AND, Sunshine and I just created a perfect example for how blogging can definately have PRACTICAL effects towards changing society. Sunshine most recent post was titled " My Asthma & the pollution... ", the story of how she has been fighting asthma since she was young, and how being allergic to the "Turbo Inhaler", ventolin that is commonly used to treat asthma has meant she can no longer get medication to prevent her asthma worsening or causing fits...

The type of medicine Sunshine uses is the same type that I used up until I was about 13(when I stopped using medicines all together because my asthma subsided for a while), and are readily available here in Western Australia.

Sunshine's Aunt, Rose lives in Dubai, a country more friendly with my own than Iraq is, so I am going to post Sunshine's medication over to her.

She will then send it to Sunshine in Mosul, this way it will be much less conspicuos, I can imagine that a small package sent from Australia to Iraq wouldn't be too reliable and probably be subjected to much 'observation' before it went anywhere....

anyway, that is one such practical application...

I will continue this post later!
4 Comments:
Blogger In His Steps said...
What is the generic name of the inhaler that Sunshine needs? I also may be able to get hold of something. My husband has been on inhalers for years.

Blogger olivebranch said...
The drug itself is Terbutaline, the inhaler is called bricanol I believe, it is the normal inhaler that is NOT a 'turbo-inhaler' like the Ventolin ones,

the other kind she needs, that I will be going to get a script for today hopefully, is pulmicort (preventative), also a normal inhaler.... Don't remember the generic name..

Blogger olivebranch said...
Bricanyl rather :)

Blogger In His Steps said...
Thanks Olivebranch. In Canada that one is by prescription too. I want to try checking with my family dr for samples. Too bad she couldn't be on something like Advair which is a combination of the bronchodilator and steroid. My husband is on that. There is no propellant like the spinhalers and controls asthma very well.